Sunday, December 29, 2013

Our Quarterly Update: A Wedding, Halloween and a Sick Little Boy

So I am a slacker...and I always say I am going to be better about blogging but life gets in the way and I put it on the back burner. I even started to write this post a few different times but kept getting distracted.

I have a few days to decide but I am thinking about doing the One Frame a Day again for 2014. I did it for 2011 and 2012 but decided not to do it for 2013 and regret it. I love to look back on the daily pictures of the kids and things we did throughout the year. Here is the link for 2011 and 2012. I may do it differently next year so I will keep you updated :)

So for our Thacker updates since my last post on Kylie's birthday, we have been keeping busy with everything. My brother got married on October 5th!! It was a beautiful wedding and we all had so much fun. All four of the kids were in the wedding and they all did great. They all looked so beautiful (and handsome). Laura, my brother's new wife, was absolutely stunning and Jonathan looked so handsome. Aaron was a groomsmen and looked very handsome as well. It was a great weekend away in Cincinnati and everyone had a great time.

The kids have stayed busy as well. They started with swim lessons in October and now have started a new basketball league which is Blake second year playing and Kylie's first year. Our first game was last weekend and both kids did great. Kylie didn't want to play defense but did really good rebounding and shooting as did Blake. Katie is playing on the same team so it is great to see them all play together.

The kids also had a great Halloween. Blake was Captain America and Kylie was Wonder Woman. They both looked so cute! Austin and Katie joined us for trick or treating so of course they all had a good time and got a bunch of candy. They were all superheros so they all looked cute.

Speaking of Blake, we had a little scare with him in late October. He started getting sick on a Friday so I made an appointment at the pediatrician's office. However that morning his eyes looked swollen and he started breaking out in a strep rash. I knew it was probably strep but wasn't sure. So I took him to the immediate care center and sure enough he had strep and impetigo (skin infection). So he was put on antibiotics which I thought would knock it out. Or so I thought. That night was awful....we couldn't touch him because his skin was so sensitive and he was in so much pain. We gave him some pain medicine and thought the antibiotics just needed to kick in. Well that next morning he was so much worse. His skin had started blistering and he was in so much pain. We were all scared so we took him to Kosair Children's Hospital. It was so sad to see him in so much pain. 

They immediately admitted him and started him on morphine and IV antibiotics. He got so much worse before he got better which scared us all. When the nurses say that he was the sickest kid on the floor that first night it made me so sad. After 4 days in the hospital he finally started to make the turn so we got to go home. Once he was through with his antibiotics I made an appointment for the ENT to get his tonsils out because I didn't want this to happen again. The doctor agreed with me and we scheduled his surgery for his next opening...which happened to be the day before Thanksgiving. No one wants to have surgery the day before Thanksgiving but the doctor recommended not waiting so we made the appointment. He wanted to take his tonsils, adenoids and tubes out of his ears. Blake did so well in surgery and recovering from it. It was a long 10 or so days but we all made it through, thank goodness.

My next post will be our Christmases!

The beautiful wedding

Halloween 2013

My sweet, sick Blake

And at the hospital before getting his tonsils out:

No comments:

Post a Comment