Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A time to grieve

No words can even express how heartbroken our family is right now. In the early morning of August 4th, heaven was made much richer when my mother-in-law, Paula, went to be with Jesus. As I write this, my heart aches and it all seems like a really bad dream. I am still at a loss for words and I know that the next weeks, months and years are going to feel so empty without her here.

This weekend so many people told me how special and wonderful she was. It was awesome to see how many lives she touched in her short 54 years here on Earth. I knew she was an amazing person but to actually hear the stories and see the people she touched, I was blown away.

I remember the first time I met Paula. Aaron and I had been dating for a few months and Paula took us out to lunch for Aaron's birthday. I was so nervous to meet her but as soon as I did, I felt so comfortable around her. She was so sweet and caring and I knew we would get along very well.
Over the years, our relationship grew into something very special. Paula was an only child and had two boys of her own. After being in a house full of boys for so long, she always involved me in everything and considered me a part of the family. After Aaron and I dated for a couple of years, we all went on vacation together to South Carolina where Aaron proposed to me. Of course I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to get back to the condo to tell Paula and Roger. The next day Paula and I went to Charleston to tour the town together and she introduced me to everyone we came across as her future daughter. I was so honored to not only to be marrying Aaron, but to gain a new amazing family. I could write a book about all of the things that Paula has done for our family over the years and I am sure many of them are in this blog from the past year and a half. It just breaks my heart to know that she will not be here to see Blake and Kylie grow up to be the amazing young man and woman that she had already helped mold.

I keep thinking about all of the things that we had planned out for the next few months and years. We just bought tickets to see Disney on Ice for September because both of the kids love Micky Mouse. She couldn't wait to take them to Disney World and we had planned on going next summer. She loved the beach and there was always at least one trip a year planned for Myrtle Beach. We were fortunate enough to all go to the beach last fall with the kids for their first trip to the beach and I could see how much she loved it because of how much the kids loved it.

Because we live an hour away, I started this blog and my One Frame a Day blog so that I could document our life and so Paula, Roger and Grandmom could see the kids and every little thing they did. Paula was so proud of Blake and Kylie and always made sure they had what they needed and wanted. She was the best Mimi that any child could ask for and the kids were so fortunate to have her in their life for the little time they did. I know I will do everything to keep her memory alive so that Blake and Kylie will remember what an amazing Mimi she was.

I am a better person today for having her in my life for the 9 years that I did. Aaron was so lucky to have her as a mother. Her and Roger showed him how to love and what it takes to be a wonderful husband and father. Paula was a very Godly woman and I know Jesus was her savior. I know that heaven gained a amazing angel and that she is dancing with her dad once again.

I went outside tonight after the kids went to bed and I noticed the beautiful sky. It made me think of Paula and I know that she is looking down on us telling us telling us not to be sad. She is our guardian angel and will always watch over us. She would want us to be happy and would never want us to continue to be sad. She was always worried about us and always put us first and I know she is still doing that today.



Please continue to pray for our family including Roger, Grandmom, Nathan, Emma, Aaron, Blake, Kylie and myself. As someone said in the guestbook for Paula, one of the fine pages has been torn out of the book of our lives. I completely agree with this and there wasn't a minute today that I didn't think about her. She was loved by so many and will be greatly missed.

Below are some of my favorite pictures of Paula and the kids. I will cherish these pictures and all of the memories that we made forever and will make sure the kids will as well.







 CLICK HERE to see the beautiful obituary that Emma and I wrote for her.

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
S
urely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. I had told Brian before we came to the visitation how much she meant to you all and how involved she was in your lives just from the little bit of your blog I've read. I could also tell how much you loved her. What a wonderful feeling. I'll continue to pray for you all and for your precious children to know how much their MiMi loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh KK. This is a beautiful post. She will be missed by many, but posts like this will help her be remembered in a special way. You all have been in my thoughts!
    LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete