Friday, May 7, 2010

Blake Update

I have thought about how to write this post a hundred times. I debated on even writing about it, but I know that we are doing the right thing.

When it comes to my kids, all I want for them is health and happiness. For the most part, both kids have been very healthy during their short lives, with the exception of Kylie ears/tube surgery.

Since Blake was born 17 days after my sister's little girl, we have always compared the two. I would rely on Kristin to tell me when she did something with Katie, so I would know when to start it with Blake. From feeding him solids to walking and talking, they were one right after the other.

Except for talking. Blake started saying words around one, which was pretty normal. That was last May, then Kylie was born in September when he was 16 months old. He stopped saying a lot of words that he said after September. Most say it is because of the big 'change' in his life and I agree.

Today, he says a total of 25 or so words. Most of which only Aaron and I know what he is saying. He can babble with the best of them, but we can't make out a thing he says.

I know he is a boy and boys are usually late bloomers in the talking category, but I have always wondered if it was just him....if something was wrong.

Aaron and I started the process of working with First Steps to start Blake on speech therapy. He was evaluated and qualified based on his current speech levels. I was sad but happy at the same time. Sad because there is a speech delay, but happy because there is something we can do about it.

Two weeks ago he had his first appointment and it went as expected. Blake is pretty shy when new people come around, so it takes awhile for him to get use to someone. The visit consisted of him running around and flirting with the therapist. Towards the end of the visit, he was pretty comfortable with her.

He has had three total visits and it may just be me, but I think he is doing great. He babbles a lot more and now, I can make out a word or two. It's amazing what a difference it has made so far. I can't wait for what is to come.

We will also be getting Blake's hearing checked to rule that out. That will be in the next couple of weeks or so. I have heard many stories of kids having speech issues and it is because they have fluid in their ears. After they got tubes, they talked the next week. With that being said, I want to be sure to cover everything.

I am so glad to have that off my chest and that I know it is working. I am sure he will be talking me head off six months from now!




No comments:

Post a Comment